Saturday, March 9, 2019

I will remember...

This was my goodbye email to GT Nexus...
Some links are internal only, my apologies for not being able to help you there!

It’s been exactly 8 years with GT Nexus/Infor. And that’s a little over quarter my life so far! I’m glad to say that it’s been an organization that’s been so close to home, both figuratively and physically! We all have choices to make and one of them is to dwell and enjoy the good memories. They usually more than make up for the bad ones, if any.

And so on my last day with GT Nexus, here’s my list. At the top of my mind, here are some of the few things I will remember....

  • I remember my daughter was just a toddler when I joined. As I leave, she’s now touching 5 feet! How time flies! I’m grateful for the flexibility of allowing me to be available for her by being close to her school. (Location, location, location!)
  • I remember talking to KS when on my first day and he was asking me to give him something unique that he can put down in his introduction email. Yeah, I still cut my own hair. And most of my hobbies are still unprintable. : )
  • I enjoyed the innovations behind every solution we have on offer. People who designed them were always open to ideas.
  • I enjoyed working with Socialtext. If you can’t beat them, you join them, right? I was able to collaborate with other social text customers to solve many of our tool related problems and at one point of time had raised more bug reports than all their other customers combined!
  • I enjoyed reviving Akshara. A newsletter by, for, and of GT Nexians. Though it was only for a short while, it was appreciated by a lot of people. Some of the articles really brought out things that no one would know about. It was an opportunity to feel good about oneself. It’s an exercise that someone should continue!
  • I remember the gasp as we turned Merry Christmas to Happy New Year using the blinds.  Those year-end Christmas floor decoration competitions were really something!
  • I remember how we solved a parking problem with our anytime cloud parking solution!  
  • The learning Kannada sessions we organized and posted (Youtube) have crossed several hundred thousand views! There are some wonderful comments appreciating the org for allowing such ideas to happen.
  • If you have attended the Learn Typing classes that were organized a couple of years back, I hope you have reached a speed of at least 50 words per minute.  : )
  • I remember how the Raw-Maya-Na, a management skit that we put together would put any entertainer to shame. What an idea! What a way to foster collaboration!
  • I remember rewriting the JD for openings in the tech pubs and it hasn’t changed. Truly a breath of fresh air. 2000 plus views. I’m sure you haven’t seen one like this. We are still looking for writers. So you know what to do : )
  • I remember inviting Brij Sethi, an ex CTO with HP, to give a talk to our managers. His idea of being a 3 quarters manager, is one that every successful leader can swear by. Watch it again. We must have more of those!

Professionally, I had just completed my PMP certification when I joined the org. In these past 8 years, I completed my Six Sigma (green and then black belts), CUA (usability from Human factors) and also the very informative CSCP (supply chain domain). 

I’m excited about my new role with a startup. You would be too if I told you what they are up to! Because help or documentation as you know it today is about giving information about something (a procedure or a task or even a concept) to a user. But the organization I’m going to has taken this to the next level. They don’t just make it easier to provide this information contextually, but can actually perform the task for the user as well! Let’s say there are 5 steps (clicks) to find the status of a shipment. Typical help is a flat document that has these 5 steps listed somewhere. OR, it could be a workflow – where you handhold the user through these tasks using tools like Pendo. But what Whatfix does (in addition to workflows and contextual help) is it does these 5 steps in the backend and displays you the result! So no more information about doing something. It’s the new oil - at your fingertips. Also explains why they are growing at a 3x rate.

But we digress… 

Though I’d really like to, it wouldn’t be fair to mention and thank individual people here, because I’m sure I’ll inadvertently forget some.
  • To those who know me, (both, who are still here or not) thank you for all the delightful experiences and for the time we have spent here together.
  • For those who don’t know me, it’s a small world. May our paths - cross again!

I’d also take a moment to apologize if I’ve hurt anyone knowingly or unknowingly. Thank you for putting up with me.

Stay in touch. And be blessed : )

Connect with me on Linkedin. (Especially if you liked some of those Ask Sean questions ;)
You can write to me at triedeverything@gmail.com (triedeverythingelse was the handle that I wanted, but it was already @$%# taken!)
And I promise not to change my number : ) It will always be +91 9845205060.

It's going to be very difficult to resist the urge to turn right after Just Born every time I enter Millers Road!

No comments:

Post a Comment